Sunday, December 30, 2012

Weekly Workout Roundup and Goofy Training Week 8

WOW!  I can't believe in less that 2 weeks, I will have completed the half marathon portion of the Goofy challenge and will be in the process of the Full.  I can't believe how time flies!  I remember when I signed up back in April(ish) with Team in Training.  

This weeks runs were both good and bad.  I can definitely tell its taper because I have the urge to run and know it's a No-NO.  I am feeling all different pains in my body, especially my knees.  It is just plain awful.  This week also put me in the 100+ mile month which is probably also why my body is screaming at me. That is a big accomplishment for me as I am not the best at weekday runs, but as they are getting shorter, it is becoming more manageable.  

Last weeks 20 miler!
This is what my week looked like:

Monday's 3 miler was supposed to be for Sunday but I held it off.  My plan was to just walk, but I wanted to see how my legs felt.  I was able to do mile 2 in under 11 minutes.  It started to rain and my plan was to go to Publix to get some items and walk back.  I still managed to do that, but don't you hate when you run to the store and it rains on you, literally!

Tuesday's 6 miler ROCKED!  I did 20 miles on Saturday so I was surprised at how fast I was going.  I tried a new route and it was perfect.  My overall pace was 11:02 (for me, after 20 miles, fast)  and the last mile at 10:20.  That run what HOT!  I was surprised how warm it was on Christmas, I even wore shorts to the movies!

On Friday I attempted 6 miles, but at mile 3 my IT Band was screaming at me and I was taking no chances!  My miles were still low 11's then I walked back.
13.1 miles for the victims of Sandy Hook

Saturdays 13 miles, that is a story all in itself.  The first half was amazing!  I love running in the rain, I truly do!  I think it makes me run that much quicker.  We were popping our those miles at 11 mpm.  Then we hit the half way mark and my body started to yell at me.  I am really hoping it is the taper, so I am going to keep it easy the next few weeks.  A few of us ran this as 13.1 for the Sandy Hook Elementary Virtual 5k and Half Marathon.  We wore our bibs proudly, until the rain ripped them off.  With all the rain, my skirt was bogged down and was just plain uncomfortable.  This actually taught me to bring shorts if the weather calls for rain on marathon day, 26.2 miles in too much clothing and the rain, no fun!  I am so lucky to have had such an amazing group to train with!  They stayed with me to the end when my stomach was cramping and a nap sounded perfect!  Thank you TEAM!

Grab a button and link up! I can't wait to hear what you did this week?  


How do you handle the taper?
Did you push through any hurdles?
Have any Personal Bests?
What races do you have coming up?

I love to hear what you have to say!

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your finisher photos! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine how terrible those pictures are going to look? I hear rain may be a possibility for the marathon. That will either be torture or a blessing!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to pretend I didn't read this. WHAT?!?!?! Rain?! For the marathon!? Who says?

      Delete
  2. One day I dream of being able to run 20 miles. Great job!!! You really are an inspiration! I'm already planning out what 2013 looks like for me and the race world (the Hubs and I have a game plan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WowThat is amazing. I cannot wait to read the final recap! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been kicking butt with your training yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice week Genna! Awesome job on all your weekday runs, and on hitting 100 miles for the month! Boy 100 miles for the month sure does make your legs mad at you. When I try to hustle up stairs my legs yell! And I do not envy you for you run yesterday in that terrible weather. I'm hoping it's just as forecast when I get home today to get in my 12! I can't believe we'll be running the marathon this time in two weeks! I get chills and a little teary eyed just thinking of it! I'm going to be a blubbering mess at the end. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on 100 miles! I think virtual races are neat, I want to do one next year. Ill be running the Commitment Day race on New Years , in the snow! I can't believe how close your races are already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work this week! Sounds like you're right on track for your race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap 100miles! That's AWESOME. You are prepared and you are going to do amazeballs! Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Leave me a message and we will be best friends