Thursday, July 25, 2013

25th Anniversary Cruise

Team In Training's 25th Anniversary Cruise around Tampa Bay

was a great time!  I am honored to help celebrate the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training's 25th year!

I have participated in a number of events for Team in Training.  I have fundraised and mentored and maybe one day, I can coach and help other first time or veteran runners as much as my coaches have helped me.  My first run with TEAM Was Disney's Wine and Dine Half Marathon, next up was Rock n Roll Savannah Full, I mentored Disney Princess, and finally, Disney Goofy!  With Team I have met some really great friends of which I am so thankful for their support, love, and generosity.

On Tuesday we set sail from the Bay Spirit II which is located directly behind the Florida Aquarium and right next to the Victory ship.  We took off promptly at 8:40ish because Christa had to get in some hill and speed training running to the boat. We were greeted with friendly faces and runners and triathletes in "normal" clothing.  Light appetizers were served and there was a cash bar. I was so hungry I darted right to whatever they were serving and stuffed my mouth, not unusual of course.  After we left post, we wandered around the boat and took pictures.  It was my first boat trip out on the bay by Channelside and it was really beautiful.  With my house hunting search, I of course would love to know how much those houses would go for off the water at Davis Island.  

Christa getting in her training before the boat leaves
We were summoned downstairs to hear presentations by Irene and hear Patrick Duffy speak with his daughter Elli.  Elli was diagnosed with AML when she was 19 months old.  You heard the emotion in his voice when he spoke.  I do not think there was s dry eye in the room when he was done.  Patrick also ran Goofy with us this year but for some reason, I did not know his reason for running.  

Team in Training participants have raised over $1.3 billion for life saving cancer research
More than $875 has been invested in blood cancer research

Coach Teresa, Christa, and me!
There is more than just running.  There are cycling, triathlon, hiking, and obstacle racing events.  

This is a program that changed my life and was honored to be able to be a part of such a great event.  If you have any questions, please ask! or head over to their site

I
f you would like to donate, please visit my sister's site who is running her first half marathon!  I am so excited for her to take this journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Leave me a message and we will be best friends