Monday, September 12, 2011

Marathon Training: Long Run: 17 miles: Getting your head in the game

Getting your head into the game I found to be the most important part of training for a marathon, or anything for that matter.

I am currently training for my first full marathon.  I will be headed to Savannah, GA for the Rock N Roll Series with Team in Training.

My goal: Completion.  I have no time goal set, even though I would like to finish in under 6 hours.  I laugh thinking about how many hours I will be running and how many meals I would normally eat in that time period.. Yup, I like to eat:)

After last week's (AMAZING) 14 miler I was so scared and dreading 18 miles.  But I got up at 4am and headed towards Bayshore Blvfd. for a 5:30am start.  For all you non Floridians, it's hot down here.

My biggest mistake this week was talking myself out of it!  I did not want to be there for the run, I was hoping the weather would cancel the run.  It I would have talked myself into running, I believe it would have made life a lot easier.  Getting your head into the game is something I have to learn to do, think positively.  That is my goal:)

On Friday night I packed my bags, even made breakfast (I managed to eat half of it, as I am not a morning eater but apparently I need to learn to fuel 'cause I will hit the wall early).  I walked out the door and saw it was raining, boy was I annoyed.  I passed some lightening on my drive, hydrated as well.  When I got to Bayshore it was NOT raining.

Sunrise Along Bayshore
It was time to begin my longest run to date.  It was a rough morning.  I think I talked myself out of it all week, that I wasn't going to be able to finish and how much it would hurt.  Well it did hurt, and I did finish (well, 17.1 miles) .  By mile 8.5 I was done for, I wanted to stop, I didn't want to keep going.  Luckily, it was out and back so I had no choice.  At mile 11.5 I ran into Jessica again and she got me through the next mile, and actually pretty quickly.  We ran over a bridge and on the way back the operator told us they were opening, it would be a while before we can get back over.  It was perfect as we were just headed back.  After mile 14 I walked and jogged and walked and jogged.  At mile 15 my coach Teresa found me and we jogged and walked back. 4 hours later we were finally done.

Getting ready for a weekend of Rememberence
I was so happy to be done!! Not because I accomplished my longest run, but because my body didn't want to go any further.  When it was nap time later that day, I kept waking up because my toes hurt so bad and to be touched by the sheet.

Here are some pictures snapped by other teammates that I "borrowed".

Steel beams from the World Trace Center

Happy Running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Leave me a message and we will be best friends