Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering today

Today is 9.11.11.  Ten years ago there was a terrorist attack on the United States.  An attack the country affected by all.  Today we remember what happened. I remember at how lucky I am and we are as a country.

Here is part of my story.



I was born and raised in New York, I was in Staten Island at the time. I was in Chemistry class and Dr. Goldberg quickly walked outside the classroom to talk to another teacher. He walked back in and told us one of the World Trade Center Buildings was hit by a plane.  We continued our lesson, I thought nothing of this.  I actually thought it was a joke.  During lunch, I heard someone talk about this and in my head I thought she was crazy for believing this.  Luckily I didn't open my big mouth and set her straight.  In 7th period, my music teacher, Mrs. Currie, told us there was a terrorist attack on the city and the Twin Towers.  She began to cry, the class began to cry.  There was no judging, we were all vulnerable.  My next biggest concern was getting home.  I took the bus home and was scared that during my mile walk home, I would somehow be attached.  I didn't know what to think. Once I got home I turned the TV on, there were no shows on because towers were down, the only thing playing was Live footage of what was happening in NYC.  Cell phone lines were down, people were not able to get in touch with their family.  My dad was supposed to be at a job site that morning at the World Trace Center, he luckily had to go for a blood test and missed it.  A business partner went in his place.  Since phones were down, no one knew if he survived or not for over 24 hours.  He did, he was able to get in there early and finish right before the first plane struck.  I had a good friend at the time, Brittany whose cousin was a firefighter.  He never made it home.  Friends and neighbors were firefighters and rushed to the scene.  It did not matter if they were sick or injured.  There was no question, one was not asked to go, it was all on for weeks.  The city and state and country was in a state of turmoil.  That is my story.

This is a picture from my run this Saturday.  Preparing for a Walk for Freedom.

I am lucky enough to had the opportunity to teach my students, on Friday, about the hero's of 9/11.  I didn't want to dwell on the "bad" but the every day heros who happened to be there and were able to help strangers.

40% of families never got to say goodbye, because 40% of the people were never found.  That is what the news just told me as I am watching the 9/11 Remembrance Ceremonies.

I am not a crier, I am not an emotional person, but this is one of the only times I get emotional, whether hearing or seeing the events.  I am surprised I made it through class, although I did not make it through homeroom and the TV production show.
(Future)Memorial Freedom Tower


What are you doing to remember September 11, 2001?

On a happier note, Happy Birthday to my kitty cats, Amos and Andy!!! The big 1-4!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Leave me a message and we will be best friends