Monday, October 15, 2012

The scary, tedious, painful, glamorous, amazing..

Yes, you read the title correct.  

I did my last "long" run this weekend.  It consisted of 22 miles!  It consisted of all the above words.
Amazing, long, dreadful, painful, sweaty, etc.  I can keep going! 
This was exactly what I needed.  I still am not sure how prepared I am for NY, but there is no turning back now.  Whether I am prepared or not, I am finishing that damn race.  I am claiming my medal.  I have been running through the heat, new schedule, and injuries.  Ready or not, here I come.

Here is how my run went.

Friday night I can't really even remember what I ate, a half a bagel with peanut butter, and I am sure whatever else I was able to stick in my mouth.  I was sleeping before 9:00, that I know for sure.  My alarm was set for 4 knowing I was meeting my team at 6:30.  4:00 came and I almost said "F" it, I want to sleep.  Instead, I snoozed, got up and got ready.  I vaselined my toes, glided any place that may chafe and was out the door by 4:30.  I had one thing freaking me out.  After talking to Tori and everyone else about my stomach issues, she mentioned trying an immodium.  I could not find it for the life of me, I bought it specifically for this run.   Once I got to my car, I found it!  I was so happy!  It is the little things like that in life.  

At the park, I put all my gear on and ventured out for my run.  I kept gong back and forth on the route I wanted to run because I wanted to make it back for the TEAM.  This totally kept me going because I was thinking about something other than the pounding on my feet. The run started off pretty well, just a bit of quad pain.  It was dark, which I loved.  I love running in the dark because I cannot see my watch, I can't see how far I have gone, or how far I have left to go.  At the 4 mile marker I turned around to head back to the start.  I wanted to get about 8 in before meeting TEAM.  It worked out perfectly.  They had 14 on the schedule.  After meeting up, I was still feeling great!  I would run 2 then walk for a few minutes because I know I will be walking through the water stops in NY.  

8-13 were just fine.  I fueled with Honey stinger chew every 4-5 miles.  I started to want to shoot myself about mile 14.  Not going to lie, mile 15 I tried a powergel.  I have had them in the past, but knew I was 2 miles from a bathroom and had immodium in me so I can be "risky".  I was still walking and running.  The walking started to happen more frequently, but was still maintaining a pace I wanted.  I saw Kat around mile 16 which was a boost I needed.  She is training for Ironman in Panama city.  I saw her, and forgot to turn my watch back on.  It was off for about a mile so you will see that my watch says 21 miles.  Misty and I kept at each other.  Mile 19, Yup, wanted to shoot myself again.  I told myself I can walk it and will rock 20-22.  And that is what I did.  I encouraged myself by setting markers to run to, or minutes to run.  I knew after this, come race day, I would still have 4.2, I would have bridges to climb up.  I wanted to be as best prepared as possible.

I hope I didn't bore you too much with that!

After 22 miles, my coaches were waiting for me!  It was a bitter sweet feeling because I didn't get to celebrate.  I headed straight home to get ready for a bridal shower.  This was my second longest run ever.  The only longer run I had was my Marathon last year.  

It is not Monday night, I still cannot walk like a normal human being.  I say "ouch" every time I walk up or down the stairs, sit down, or attempt to sit on the toilet.

I ran 22 miles, please take a moment to donate your morning coffee to help find a cure for caner



6 comments:

  1. You go girl!! I want to run a full marathon SO bad but the training is intimidating! I think I just need to find a good plan. I've done one half before and am planning to do another in March. A full is definitely on the bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! When I was training for a full. We did 22 as well. I think it helped menatlly. I kept telling myselfal after 22 miles what's 4 more :) I'm glad this run was better than your other one that left you with tummy troubles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome miles! I'm definitely inspired by how you manage to trek those long runs in between your busy schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work Genna! You are SO ready for NYC. Trust in your training. Only 19 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Genna! I'm so excited that you got it done in one day and now know that you can do it. You're going to run NYC!! How exciting! I can't wait to hear about it, and I hope you take a million pictures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got this, girl!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say! Leave me a message and we will be best friends